17th August 2012
It can be a tricky time when your tiny tot is suddenly not so tiny anymore and is about to start primary school. Often you'll be surprised by how easily they take to it but for anyone who experiences wobbles, here are 5 tips to make it easier:
- Do expect them to be extremely tired at the end of the day. Even if they've been used to going to nursery, mentally school is much more tiring for them.
- And as a follow up to that, we all know what tiredness brings...not so pleasant behaviour! You may need to accept that their overall behaviour may go downhill for a while.
- Don't expect them to talk lots about what they've done during the day. It's very common for them to not tell you all the details (that you quite understandably want to hear!)
- Don't be afraid to ask the teacher questions if you're not sure of something, they're busy and sometimes can forget that the parents can be as new to the whole process as the children.
- Your school may have a specific system for notifiying you of any trips, events or other news but if not check their book bag or rucksack every night, so you don't miss anything important.
It's a special time so cherish those photos of them in their first school uniform and take some tissues with you on the first day! Good luck.